|Date Posted:||Jul 27, 2022|
|Closing Date:||Aug 11, 2022|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Functional Area:||General,Personal Safety,Maintenance Management|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||4 - 6 Years|
|Contract Duration:||1 year(s)|
|Possibility of Contract Extension:||Yes|
|Probation Period:||6 months|
About Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations:
FAO Afghanistan is investing, across all 34 provinces, in resilience reinforcing actions that focus on protecting agriculture livelihoods and local ecosystems, boosting local production of nutritious foods and cash-incomes, and safeguarding critical agriculture sectoral development gains achieved over the past couple of decades through revitalizing rural markets and economy. In 2022-2023, FAO will, under the life-saving assistance Outcome (1) of the UN Transitional Engagement Framework (TEF), focus on the following four priority actions: (i) Safeguarding Wheat Seed Security, (ii) Enhancing Local Production of Nutritious Food, (iii) Livestock Protection and Dairy Sector Support, and (iv) Restoring Irrigation Structures to Boost Cash Incomes. Additionally, FAO will contribute towards resilience building activities under Outcome 2 of the TEF.
The position is located in the FAO Representation in Kabul, Afghanistan.
Organizational Unit: FAAFG
Job Type: Staff position
Type of Requisition: General Service
Grade Level: G-3
Primary Location: Afghanistan-Kabul
Duration: Fixed-term: 1 year with the possibility of extension
Post Number: 2009181
CCOG Code: 2206
The Senior Driver is responsible for driving Country Office Staff of FAO Representations and visitors. He/she also provides other transportation-related and messenger services for the Country Office Staff of FAO Representations.
The incumbent works under the general supervision of the FAO Representative (FAOR) and the direct supervision of the Assistant FAOR (Administration).
In his/her function as Senior Driver for the relevant Office, the incumbent is in regular contact with national and international visitors, including high ranking officials, with project managers, consultants and other personnel from within and outside the Organization. He/she is often the first point of contact for people from outside the country office. He/she interacts on a day-to-day basis with personnel and officials from local offices and service providers.
Impact of work
The incumbent’s work impacts on the timely and efficient delivery of the immediate work unit’s programme.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Drive for the Head of the Office and his/her visitors, including high-ranking officials from within and outside the Organization. As necessary also drive for other staff of FAO Representations;
• Meet official personnel and visitors at the airport; facilitate immigration, customs formalities, hotel check-in, and other local formalities;
• Ensure that the local transportation needs of the FAO Representative are met at all times and ensures the safety, technical soundness and comfort of the vehicle(s);
• Log official trips, daily mileage, gas consumption, transportation/vehicle related expenditures, vehicle servicing, repairs, etc.;
• Assist the administrative staff in regular monitoring of the log books and maintenance records;
• Ensure day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle(s); check oil, water, battery, tires, etc.; perform minor repairs and timely arrange for any other repairs necessary to keep the vehicle safe and technically sound at all times; maintain the vehicle(s) in clean condition;
• Handle local and organizational formalities when involved in an accident; ensure that in this case all organizational and local / country rules, regulations and procedures are followed correctly;
• Collect and deliver mail, documents, pouches, and other communications/items from and to the country office; go to the post office, airport, other UN agencies, institutions, project sites, etc., to take and deliver items and communications; keep records as required;
• Assist the Country Office in performing simple office duties such as making and answering telephone calls, making photocopies, keeping records, etc.;
• Brief and train the junior driver in all the above duties and responsibilities;
• Perform other related duties as required.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS - candidates will be assessed against the following
Education: Secondary school education. Possession of valid driver’s license.
Experience: Four years of work experience as a driver. Flawless, safe driving record.
Languages: Working knowledge (proficient – level C) of English and limited knowledge of one of the local languages (Dari or Pushto)
Residency: General Service Staff are recruited locally. To be eligible for this position, candidates must be nationals of the country of the duty station or possess an existing visa/work permit, and reside within commuting distance of the duty station at the time of the application. "Commuting distance" means the distance within which staff members can travel daily between their place of work and their residence.
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Good knowledge of the local driving rules and regulations; skills in minor vehicle repair.
• A high degree of punctuality and reliability is required.
• Safe driving manner. Good sense of direction and knowledge of local conditions.
• Ability to cope with extended working hours.
• Ability to coordinate all Office transportation needs and the pool of Office Drivers.
• FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing)
• Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net/
• The length of the appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to extension of appointments
• Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
• General Service Staff are recruited locally. To be eligible for this position, candidates must be nationals of the country of the duty station or possess an existing visa/work permit, and reside within commuting distance of the duty station at the time of the application."Commuting distance" means the distance within which staff members can travel daily between their place of work and their residence.
• No international benefits will be payable as selected candidates are recruited locally and paid in the local currency of the office location
• Other similar positions may be filled from this vacancy notice
• For additional information visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, click on the following link: