|Date Posted:||Jun 22, 2022|
|Closing Date:||Jun 30, 2022|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||2|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||3 Years|
|Contract Duration:||5.5 month(s)|
|Possibility of Contract Extension:||Maybe|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
Afghanaid is a British-registered international NGO, which has worked in Afghanistan for over 30 years. We assist community-driven processes that address the rights and fundamental needs of people in some of the most remote areas of Afghanistan, providing basic services, supporting development of rural livelihoods and responding to humanitarian emergencies. We are headquartered in Kabul, and operate 20 provincial and district offices across Badakhshan (north-eastern region), Samangan (northern region) and Ghor (western region), as well as a Marketing and Fundraising office in London. We employ around 160 personnel, 97% of whom are Afghans.
The Agriculture officer will serve as the main technical person for all agricultural and natural resource management related activities of the project. Regularly visits to farmer’s field and provide technical agriculture training.
Duties & Responsibilities:
· With the assistance of project coordinator, the agriculturist will develop quarterly and monthly work plan and budget plans, including monthly monitoring plan.
· He/she will conduct monthly visits to district programme site at 90 % time to field to observe and assess the performance of target beneficiaries’ and provide to them information and technical advice as required.
· He/she will closely work with relevant project field staff and target farmers to implement the project activities and will send monthly progress report against the agreed objectives and outcomes.
· Conduct need assessment survey in the respective province.
· Conduct mobilization meetings with target farmers, and promote sustainability through farmer’s participation and involvement in all Agricultural activities especially in Forest Landscape Restoration activities.
· Seek technical advice from the Project Manager in Forest Landscape Restoration project activities and impart the knowledge and information to the target beneficiaries through training and demonstration on improved Forest Landscape Restoration.
· Conduct regular visits to farmer’s fields, identify technical problems investigate causes, advise effective solutions to farmers and commercial growers to assure crop quality and low crop damage and ensure increased crop production levels.
· Provide information or recommendations to farmers or other landowners regarding ways in which they can best use land, promote plant growth, or avoid or correct problems such as erosion.
· Develop methods of conserving or managing soil that can be applied by farmers.
· Conduct experiments to develop new or improved varieties of field crops, focusing on characteristics such as yield, quality, disease resistance, nutritional value, or adaptation to specific soils or climates.
· Document and share case studies, success stories and field visit reports as and when required.
· Discussion with the community regarding extension of new methodology and introducing new varieties and techniques in the area.
· He/she will have to conduct trainings on Natural Resources Management and Forest Landscape Restoration to project targeted farmers.
- Undertake any other duties as and when required by the line manager and/or overview manager.
Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture, Horticulture, Agronomy or Agriculture Extension from a reputed university
More than 3 years of professional experience
Professional Skills, Competencies, Values and Attitudes
Afghanaid seeks a responsible and dependable Agriculture officer with strong initiative, judgment and adaptability as well as excellent skills in communication, organisational, interpersonal relations, decision-making and reporting skills.
Specifically, the holder of this position should also demonstrate the following:
a. Proficiency in computer software MS Office etc.
b. Reporting writing skills
c. Ability to provide technical supervision, motivate and train project beneficiaries and farmers.
d. Ability to deal with difficult, often challenging work situations.
e. Behavioural role model for peers and fellow team members.
f. Competent to work with significant levels of autonomy and able to meet tight deadlines.
g. A results-oriented approach to delivering work priorities in personal workload,
h. Creative and innovative in conceptual and analytical thinking
i. Sensitivity to gender issues.
j. Fluent in Dari, Pashto and English (written and oral).
k. Personal integrity, sense of humour, intuitive and self-motivation
l. Knowledge of personal strengths and weaknesses, active listener
Job Location:Afghanistan, Samangan
Please email a covering letter of application and your CV to email@example.com, including the job title and your name in the subject line by 30 June, 2022. Your covering letter should be no more than 2 standard A4 pages in length and explain how you meet the position requirements and why you feel you would be a suitable candidate for this role. Your CV should be no more than 4 pages and include 3 professional references including your current employer. The precision and style with which you present yourself in your covering letter and CV will be given significant weight in short listing candidates.